[Sca-cooks] Need help with a recipe

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 11:34:56 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/16/2002 8:08:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ddfr at daviddfriedman.com writes:

> or kid. We got one once, which was a story in itself.

I had already been planning on using lamb for it, which is why I only
mentioned that.

> >then cut it up and put it into the almond milk to
> >finish cooking.  I then take small birds stuffed (with what) and stewed
> (in
> >what) and put sugar, cinnamon, and salt on them.  Hard boiled egg yolks
> are
> >cut in two, probably sprinkled with cinnamon.  I see some small birds, and
> >some of the roasted/boiled lamb being put on a platter, hard cooked egg
> yolks
> >being sprinkled with cinnamon and set around them, and then the almond
> milk
> >broth being poured over the lot.  I then prepare the alkanet by sauteing
> it
> >(?) and dissolving it in wine (?) and use a feather to paint it or
> sprinkle
> >it over the top.
>
> I've never done this recipe, but what you say here looks reasonable
> to me. I read "take yolks of ayren...and flourish the sewe above" as
> meaning "and decorate the sauce/dish on top", meaning that you put
> the cinnamoned egg yolks on top to decorate it after you put the
> sauce on--and it makes sense, since otherwise the sauce will wash the
> cinnamon off.

Yes, it does.  I was thinking about that after I wrote it.

> I have been told that alkanet (red/pink coloring) is fat-soluble,
> which is why you start by frying it to get the color loose.

That makes sense; I've never worked with alkanet before.

> I had a vague memory (I think from Two Fifteenth Century Cookery
> Books) of a stuffing that was ground pork/spices/probably egg/maybe
> currents, but I can't find my copy of that book; and when I looked
> through Forme of Cury (in Curye on Inglysch) here is what I found for
> pigeons stuffed and stewed:
>
> 49. Peiouns ystewed. Take peiouns and stop hem with garlec ypylled
> and with gode erbis ihewe, and do hem in an erthen pot; cast (th)erto
> gode broth and whyte grece, powdour fort, safroun, verious, & salt.
>
> For an idea of what "good herbs" to use, there is a recipe for capon
> stewed in Two Fifteenth Century in whch the capon is stuffed with
> parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and hyssop (and stewed in wine).

Thank you, thank,you, thank you, Elizabeth!  This (along with every other
post I've seen on this thread) has been extremely helpful, and I now feel
that maybe I can actually pull this one off...

Brangwayna