[Sca-cooks] Stuart Peachey

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 09:40:20 PST 2002

--- Mary Denise Smith <costumemag at costumemag.com>
wrote:
> Greetings List,
>
> This book list is from a vendor at the Re-enactor's
> Fair, held last
> weekend in Oxford, England.
>
> Anyone care to comment on them?

Well, much of what is described here is post 1600,
which is supposed to be our cut-off date. There was a
definite shift in cooking styles right around the turn
of the century, so much of what you have there would
be what Cariadoc would refer to as Nouvelle Cuisine,
rather than being strictly Medieval, so keep that in
mind.

Myself, if I had the chance to look at and handle
these books, I'd want to look at the documentation for
these recipes- in other words, do the authors simply
say, "A traditional French/Engliush/German/etc recipe"
or do they say. "A translation or transliteration of
manuscript X, published in 1589 by Whoever".

But, I've been known to appreciate early American cook
books, both in their own right, and because I find the
conversion of known period recipes from the originals
using the European ingredients, to using New World
ingredients interesting.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,