[Sca-cooks] Left=hand sugar

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Mar 18 11:27:43 PST 2002

> What do you mean by "wasting" in the feces? Apparently not just passing
> through unaffected.

No, actually, that is exactly what I meant. Whatever can't be absorbed would
be "wasted" or excreted.

> Olestra is being sold. So why not this artificial sugar?

Because Olestra can't be absorbed across the intestinal wall; it's too big,
so it stays in the gut and gets excreted. This is why Olestra causes
diarrhea. As far as L-glucose, well, see below...

> Why would this reverse sugar cause dehydration? Because it affects the
> apparent water content of the urine? Doesn't the correct-handed sugar
> do this? Sounds like it could be safer than the diuretics that I'm
> currently on, which strip out potassium.

In excess quantities, yes, D-sugars will cause dehydration. There is a
minimum amount of water necessary to dissolve any given amount of sugar. If
you increase the sugar content of the urine, you needs must increase the
water output along with it. This is what happens in diabetic ketoacidosis -
you can theoretically treat DKA with nothing but IV fluids. Since L-glucose
cannot be processed, it will be excreted unchanged in whatever amount is
taken in - so if you eat too much of it, you WILL dehydrate yourself, unless
you increase water consumption to match.

We all know the American mindset and behavior pattern - do you believe the
average American, who is already overweight, would voluntarily limit his/her
intake of this stuff?

> Any articles on this reverse sugar that a non-medical trained person
> can understand?

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. All my
research tools are in the medical literature. I'll poke around and see if I
can find something not too dense.