[Sca-cooks] Need help with a recipe- quail

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 18 20:38:53 PST 2002

--- "Harris Mark.S-rsve60"
<Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:

> Well, looks like a project for Pennsic, doesn't it
> Stefan. Stuufed with disguised carrots and zucchini
> maybe? ;-)
> -------------
>
> Yuck. No, I don't think that would be a good
> stuffing.
> I think a wild rice and mushroom, especially wild
> mushrooms with a good strong sauce would be nice. I
> still
> think using boned birdies would be best but maybe
> you can
> just pick through the bones and other bits.

Hey, Margali- remember that recipe we had for the rice
and mushroom subtlety? The one that riced the squash,
and cut the carrots into mushroom shapes?

> Pluck a squab without water in such a careful way as
> not to break the skin.
> Then, when it has been gutted, remove the entire
> skin and spread out. When
> it is spread out, fill it with the best sausage.
> Then it will seem entirely
> whole. You will have the real squab roasted, fried
> or boiled this way. When
> it is half-cooked, sprinkle with salt and ground
> bread, and brush lightly
> with egg yolk to make a crust instead of a skin.
> When it is wholly cooked,
> toast it immediately over a hot fire so it becomes
> more colored. Then serve
> it to your guests.
> --------------------------
>
> Hmmm. Sprinkle with salt and ground bread and egg
> yolk. Fry. Sounds
> a lot like fried chicken, although it is squab and
> not chicken.

Actually, if you fry it, it would be rather similar,
much like using a heavy breading to seal a skinless
piece of chicken.

> Is this a sausage stuffed, fried bird? Or is it two
> things, the bird
> skin, stuffed with sausage and fried and then
> seperately, the bird
> meat, coated and fried?

Well, my reading is that it's doubling the number of
meat things on the plate. Squabs aren't very big, and
a heavy meat eater would eat two, easily. My thought
is that two would be served, one of each, using the
skin to shape the one, and the coating to use the
shape of the rest of the bird as a frame.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,