[Sca-cooks] Re: Stuart Peachey (long)

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 11:31:46 PST 2002

Amanda is also quite helpful and sends a copy of the
abbreviations list for the recipe sources and pretty
much will help you find whatever you need if she can.

I love Acanthus!

Alessandra
--- johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
wrote:
> Some of these are titles that I have
> owned and used for several years.
> Stuart Press is part of Historical
> Management Associates, Ltd. I believe
> that they began as a press to produce
> material on the period of the English
> Civil War. Some of the titles date
> to the early to mid 1980's. The books
> vary but are primarily A5 in size and
> are softcover and stapled. They cover
> the period 1580-1660. [They are the size
> of the SCA series the Compleat Anachronist
> roughly.] They vary somewhat in quality
> of presentation; some are good reproductions
> from a typewritten copy; others are not so
> clear or easy to read. Others are reduced
> copies of original cookbooks. I have always
> thought that they were interesting and allowed
> one to keep up with what the ECW re-enactors
> were doing or publishing.
>
> As to their being too late for the SCA, the reprints
> of
> the actual cookery texts save me time when I
> want to check something and do not want to have
> to drag out my archival collection of microfilm
> off-prints or deal with EEBO. Several of the books
> may say 16?? but they are they the later editions
> of works that were published earlier. As someone who
> researches when and how recipes change through time,
> they
> can be very valuable, even if late just as May and
> Digby are valuable.  And some of these editions have
> the added conveniences of indexes added.
>
>  The compilations
> are a mixed lot. The Book of Comfit Making is 20
> pages
> and consists of title page; introduction and
> comments
> page; a description of comfit making then and comfit
> making now -pp3-5; recipes-modern, p6; recipes from
> other authors- pp.7-9; section on comfit making
> reproduced from Sir High Plat--pp. 9-20. If you
> didn't
> already have the Plat book, this would be valuable
> to have.
> They are, it seems to me, good starting places.
>
> Amanda Ferris of Acanthus Books carries a selection
> of them.
> See: http://store.yahoo.com/acanthus-books/info.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis
>
> Mary Denise Smith wrote:>
> > Greetings List,>
> > This book list is from a vendor at the
> Re-enactor's Fair, held last
> > weekend in Oxford, England.>
> > Anyone care to comment on them?>
> > MD/Marged>
> > Early 17th Century Food Series by Stuart
> Peachey---
> various titles--snipped---

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)