[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

alm4 at cornell.edu alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 19 14:15:49 PST 2002

> The hood will be worth its weight in gold when you are cooking fish,
> deep-frying anything or, lord forbid, burning something.  I went without one
> in my last house and did I ever regret it!

There are two kinds of hood, the kind that you put a hole in the wall and
exhaust the air out, then there's the kind that you don't put a hole in
the wall and you suck the bad air in filter it and push it back out into
the room, no drilling a hole in the wall required.  My brother had a very
old one of those without the hole in the wall in his house and it did
ok.  We have always had one with a hole in the wall in our house and it
always worked well especially in the summer when you want to use the
oven.

I love gas stoves, but it has always been relatively inexpensive for us
to hook it up.  We heat with gas, so making a line for the stove was
easy.  YOu can still cook when the electricity goes out, and living in
the boonies sometimes the electricity goes out for over an hour.

We bought one at Lowe's about a year ago and it cost a lot of money $450
IIRC but it has timers for cooking a self cleaning oven and a window on the
oven door and the burners are different BTUs.

We had our gas company hook it up because it was setup to use lp and we
have propane or something like that and they charged us $50 to do it, but
I don't think they had to install any pipe or anything.  We changed from
having a counter top stove separate oven to a complete stove unit and cut
the counter etc apart ourselves, but my Dad has remodeled so he knew what
he was doing.

If I were you Sandy I would also go out to Wernick's(however you spell
it, out in freeville) and look around, and Thayer's.  Thayer's was pretty
expensive IIRC although we were still pricing wall oven's when we were
there.  I don't think Sam Peter sells stoves anymore.

	Angie