[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 14:23:36 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----

     This is the kind of thing I would never have thought of by myself, and
why the list can prove so helpful.  I haven't done much looking yet, but I
think all the gas stoves I've read about have electronic ignition, so no
jerky on the pilot.  :-(   Does an electronic ignition mean that the burners
won't light if the power is off?  Could I use an old bunsen-burner lighter
(or a match)?

Yes, we've lost power a few times over the years, and we simply light the
burners with one of those battery-powered ignitors, much the same way we
light our camp stove.

     It's the venting that worries me, as there's nothing of sort now.  I
hadn't thought I'd be cutting holes in the house when I started thinking
about a new stove.  The wall behind the stove isn't really exterior anymore,
as the garage is there.  Can I vent into the garage?

I'd ask the advice of a contractor on that.  I don't see any reason why not,
but there may be some problem with carbon fumes or something.

Kiri