[Sca-cooks] Cast iron pots

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:53:22 PST 2002

Stafan said:

>Correct, it appears that the technology to cast an iron pot did not
>exist until late in our period. However, this doesn't mean they
>couldn't make pots by hammering iron plate into shape and fastening
>that together. However, there are various reasons that other materials
>might have been preferred for most pots including cost and wieght.

Not to yet again wave the banner of asia and how advanced they were in
period (who me?), in China, GIANT cookpots were caste in bronze and used for
cooking.  And small ones too.  My metal teacher (THL Robindra of Isles) told
me he heard of a recent pour that was several tons in bronze, done by those
cool chinese metalworkers!

I have a book on Chinese porcelain and Chinese bronzes and it shows shards
from huge molds (the molds were made of a kaolin clay, which is a hifire,
pure claybody) that were done in pre-period (I don't have the book in front
of me, but I'm thinking it was like B.C. sometime).

Not sure if this technology passed into europe, but as far as I can tell
from the woodblocks I've seen from period, it looks to me like some sort of
pot was made in metal.  Clay is WAY to heavy to prop up on those spit-like
tripods.  I'm probably wrong though.

Just my two yen here. :)

--Arte