[Sca-cooks] Re: cast iron pots

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:08:13 PST 2002

Hi folks!  Stefan and I missed you all at the potluck!

IIRC, what we think of as "cast iron" has a specific crystalline structure
that can only be obtained using a Bessemer converter.  It's a good heat
conductor, pretty strong, but it's not very malleable.  Once it's cast into
shape, it'll break before it bends. (ever seen a dented cast iron pot?
Neither have I.) Certainly the technology to cast molten iron into pots and
other forms did exist in period, but the end product would not be what we'd
consider to be "cast iron".

Just my 2 centavos,

Vicente

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson