[Sca-cooks] Full beards, no moustache, for Philp

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 19:22:48 PST 2002

--- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> So Phlip,
> Tell us please, why Amish men wear full beards but
> no moustache.
> Phillipa

Well, understand that this is true of MOST Amish men,
not all- over the years I was asking various Amish
acquaintances, and while all of them answered my
question with "Tradition", and laughed when I
mentioned scuba divers, several mentioned a group or
groups they were aware of which did wear mustaches.

Also, to understand their reasoning, there are a
couple of things you need to know about the Amish. For
one thing, their beliefs are very fundamentalist, in
that they believe that everything in the Bible is
absolutely true, and they obey the Bibles laws, as
they understand them. One of those Laws is a
Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill". The other is the
same law which Orthodox Jewish men obey, in so far as
not cutting their facial hair.

The Amish began as a dissident sect of the Swiss
Mennonites in the mid or late 17th century, and at
that time, almost all military men wore mustaches, and
the shaving of the mustache represented their
rejection of military values and practices.

Scuba divers shave their mustaches, btw, because if
they don't, their diving masks won't seal right ;-)

Aren't you glad you asked? ;-)

Now, any chance you can answer some of my questions in
the same posting? I really would like to know.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,