Seder, was Re: [Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 21 07:53:22 PST 2002

Also sprach Pixel, Goddess and Queen:

>One of the Four Questions is, more or less, "On other nights we don't even
>dip once. Why tonight do we dip twice?" Now, before people get really
>confused, remember that Jesus said that his betrayer would be the person
>who dipped at the same time that he did [Matthew 26:23].
>
>Thusly, if there was dipping going on, that suggests that it was a
>Seder. Also, there is a certain amount of evidence to suggest that this
>was a special meal, as there was effort expended to rent a room in which
>to have the meal.

Yeah, between the preparations required to remove the various
forbidden items and the strain on a single household of a fisherman
or other non-wealthy type, this would make great sense.

I was also struck by the structure of the meal as described in
accounts of The Last Supper, specifically in regard to the various
cups of wine drunk at various points in the service. Some cultures do
wait until after the meal to drink, but it seems rather easy to
associate this cup with the last cup drunk at a Seder. There's
probably not a lot of evidence to suggest that's what it is, but not
much to suggest it wasn't, either.

>Me, I'm just annoyed that Thursday is my birthday and I can't have a
>birthday cake this year. :-(

I must hunt up that chestnut Hunyadi cake (a flourless Hungarian
chocolate cake of a particularly deadly nature).

Adamantius