Ancient bread (was Re: [Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s))

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 09:57:26 PST 2002

Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:

> Still, it does take hours for bread to rise, even if you begin with a
> lively sourdough culture.  Flatbreads would have been much, much
> quicker.

Aye.  Even so, every time I opine at Seder that the "bread of affliction" of
our ancestors probably resembled pita more than modern matzot, my father
gives me a dirty look.  Practically part of the family ritual now, much like
my brother delivering the Four Questions and Dad beginning the answer with
"Funny you should ask!"

Other quirky family rituals, anyone?

Meanwhile:  I kept some of the charoses/haroset recipes that people posted
last year.  Any more documentably period ones?  I want to blow my family
away with historical goodness.

Selene, Caid