[Sca-cooks] OOP, somewhat on-topic...

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Fri Mar 22 09:37:24 PST 2002

Adamantius asks:
>So, what's the stuff that other people do to make life easier? (regarding feast
planning and execution)

I use one of those recipe programs (Master chef) to keep track of feast menus
and recipes.  It does expansions pretty well (it does have some little foibles)
and generates a shopping list, sorted by area of the supermarket.  I periodically
update the prices that are in the program so I can come up with a closer cost
estimate, quickly.

I also use it for planning camping food.  For instance, I learned that there
will up to 5 more people to feed at an upcoming event, so it is easy to regenerate
the recipe and shopping list.  I also print out the recipes and take them with
to events, so if I get tied up doing something, the rest of the camp can at
least start the meal...  (or know when the fire needs to be built for what kind
of cooking, we doing campfire cooking only at events, unless fire regs say otherwise)

I use excel to generate a kitchen plan, timetable and dish and utensil list
- this is so that I can make sure we have enough serving dishes and utensils,
oven space etc for the kitchen, serving order and the timing i want to use.

I can export the recipes to make a feast menu and ingredient list.  I put these
up on the wall out side the kitchen, to answer those "waht's in it" questions
and the kitchen plans go up on the wall in the kitchen so everyone can track
the progress and items are signed off when they happen, time in the oven, etc
can also be noted.  (alot of this I have picked up from doing Maaadrone Culinary
guild feasts)

Maeve
Barony of Glymm Mere
An Tir