[Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 22 09:48:18 PST 2002

Kiri wrote:

> I don't have it handy, but there was a great Charoset recipe published in a
> TI a number of years ago...
>
> Kiri

I knew that keeping a "haroset" file would come in handy!  I forget who posted
this on this list last year, but here it is.

"...here's the recipe, as  quoted and redacted in the TI article by Eleazar
Ha-Levi.  It's from a 1654 Haggadah, published in Italy, but written in
Spanish.  I have
not transcribed the entire article.

- - - - begin quoted material - - -

"Take apples or pears, cooked in water, hazelnuts or almonds,
shelled chestnuts or walnuts, figs or raisins.  And after cooking,
grind them thoroughly and dissolve in the strongest wine vinegar
that can be found.  Then mix in a bit of brick dust, in memory of the
bricks which our father made in Egypt.  For eating, a little
cinnamon powder is sprinkled above.  Those who wish to add other
fruits and spices into the concoction may do so."

I tried this last year for my own Seder using the recipe given below.
 My one big change was to substitute brown sugar for the brick
dust.  (Anyone who's ever tried to break apart a blcok of brown
sugar after it has been exposed to the air should agree to the
similarity between it and a brick.)"

1 medium apple and 1 medium pear
1 ounce chopped walnuts
1 ounce chopped almonds
2 ounces raisins
1-2 ounces vinegar
2 tsps brown sugar
cinnamon

Peel fruit and cut into small pieces.  Combine with all other
ingredients, except cinnamon, and blend/chop for about 15
seconds.  (You want a coarse chop, not a puree.)  Serve with the
cinnamon and allow each guest to season to his or her own taste.
Note: if you wish to mix cinnamon with other ingredients, I estimate
that one teaspoon, at most should be sufficient.

- - -  end quoted material - - -