[Sca-cooks] Funges Follies-

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Mar 25 03:27:36 PST 2002

    Make bread bowls or coffins instead of using bowls. Cheap, impressive,
edible.
    I've been cooking feasts over an open pit for years. Every year when we
do our medieval faire (6 years now, going to 2 weekends this year), I do a
feast for the Kiwanians, volunteers, vendors, rennies, and assorted
riff-raff. The site I use has four 4'x6' fire pits with hugundo metal grates
hanging on chains with cranks. If I need to pull out a grate to set up a
spit, no problem. I generally line one pit with visqueen and styrofoam, and
that becomes cold storage. A second grate is dry storage, and the last 2
pits are what I cook over. I've done 300 out of this site without doing any
more work than I would have done at an official event. You just have to be
more creative, as you say.
    BTW, if anyone knows any vendors that would like to work a REALLY nice
fair (no beer sales) in sunny SW Fla the last 2 weekends in january, have
them get in touch. We're looking for period vendors (no plastic dealers),
and performers. It's a gorgeous location, camping on site, everything you
need for shopping within 1/4 mile, and we throw a hell of a feast!

    Sieggy