[Sca-cooks] Funges Follies-

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 25 06:42:40 PST 2002

Sorry about that guys!  I really overstated what I meant to say.  What I
meant to say here is that we are told that if we substitute or omit an
ingredient, we no longer have a period dish.  I have always had a problem
with that concept...sorry about that, fellow Laurels!  I really don't see
how we can create dishes that we know for a fact are absolutely "spot on"
(to quote our British friends) period...there are just too many things that
are different.  Most recipes don't give quantities, so we redact according
to our own, modern, tastes.  Even the ingredients we use are not
period...the beef we have today (or chicken, pork, whatever) are raised
differently and therefore, probably taste different.  We do our best to
create something that is as close to period as we can possibly make it...and
that's what I am still doing if I choose to still make Shellbread, omitting
the musk, which is not only unobtainable in its natural form, but is, as I
understand it, poisonous in its chemical form.

Sorry about that Adamantius...and thanks for pulling me up short on that
one.

Kiri