[Sca-cooks] Funges Follies-

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 25 08:19:00 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
 There probably should not be alarm bells
> going off at the exact point at which we diverge from a period
> recipe. Whoop-whoop, non-period alert! Man the battle stations and
> check for tomatoes!

I agree...and I do agree that we should strive to get as close to what we
interpret to be the period process as possible...note that the important
words here are "we interpret".  I have a good friend who recently received
his Laurel for cooking who has redacted and cooked several of the same
recipes I have.  In at least one, Cormarye, his redaction is so different
from mine as to be questionable as to whether it is the same original
recipe.  Whatever we do is an interpretation...and, as I said, that's why
it's an art rather than a science!

> On the other hand, the simple fact of knowing when, and why, we
> diverge from what we know to be a period process because it is
> documented very specifically, and when, and why, we are speculating,
> is a good teaching and reasoning device.

I agree here totally.  and whenever I do digress from what I perceive to be
the ingredients and/or processes in a recipe, I try to indicate such when I
share my interpretation.

 >I really don't think anybody
> ever really suggested more than that. (All right, I'll be blunt; I
> don't think Cariadoc, or I, or various other people who've been
> involved in this ongoing debate, ever suggested an approach more
> conservative than that. If I'm wrong those people can correct me.)

Actually, not so much from you, but from His Grace and several others, I've
gotten the impression that if we digress from the exact information in a
recipe, we no longer have a "period" dish, but rather a "periodoid" dish.  I
got the impression that the argument was not so much against doing a
substitution or omission, but rather indicating that it was still a period
dish/recipe.

> An example: a week or so ago I was involved in a small feast
> consisting largely of Eastern European foods, mostly those recipes in
> Marx Rumpolt which he specifically identifies as Hungarian. Among
> them was a dried plum tart filling which we put in pastry cases
> (commercial, phooey!) and baked. _Talk_ about an aroma filling an
> entire site with perfume! Anyway, a few minutes before service, I
> noted that we had a lot of sour cream left over from the dayboard. We
> decided to beat it a bit, and put a healthy dollop in the middle of
> each tart as a garnish. The recipe doesn't call for it. We just
> decided to use it because we thought it would be good. Technically, I
> know I should be on the lam with the authenticity police in hot
> pursuit. On the other hand, I'm still in a position to state, quite
> truthfully, that Rumpolt's comments on Hungarian plum tart filling
> remain unchanged by the decision to put some sour cream on the
> finished tarts, even though Rumpolt doesn't mention it. The filling
> was as close to Rumpolt's instructions as I could make it, and its
> consistency, with or without sour cream dolloped on top, to modern
> Eastern European fruit tart traditions also remains unchanged. Has
> that somehow transformed my modern creation based on a period recipe
> into something less "period" than it would otherwise have been?
> Probably not really.  Does it show that there is an ongoing link
> between late medieval/early modern and current traditions regarding
> fruit tarts in that part of the world? Sure it does. The only way in
> which the educational process suffered (and in this it was probably
> made up for by people's enjoyment factor) was in that people might
> assume that the sour cream dollop is called for in Rumpolt's recipe.
> And if anyone asks, I can easily point out that that was a snap
> decision.

Yes, I've done similar things...like adding a fruit garnish to a custard
pie, or, actually changing the ingredients in the Rysshews of fruyt (Forme
of Curye) by adding egg whites to the mixture.  I tried them without the egg
whites (not specified in the original recipe), and they fell apart when I
tried to fry them.  Adding the egg whites (colorless, tasteless...couldn't
really be detected so I doubt they changed the taste or appearance) made
them hold together when being fried.

> And there's the rub. We do our best, even though we know we cannot
> attain perfection. The trick is to not allow the fact that we cannot
> attain perfection to prevent us from doing our best. (Not letting the
> best be the enemy of the good, etc., etc.)

I agree....

> Well, as I said, I was addressing more a widespread attitude, rather
> than you or your remarks, which make more sense than a lot of what is
> said on this subject. Even though you are in danger of falling into
> the Classic Trap connected with this reasoning ;-)...

You're probably right, though I do try the best I can to stick to what the
recipe specifies as far as I can.  But, I really believe that there is no
way I can know what a period cook would have thought tasted correct...or
good.  And I won't avoid cooking something that I believe would be enjoyed
by those eating my feast just because I can't get a specific ingredient.  I
love doing the research and sorting out how it probably would have been done
in period...but when I'm actually cooking a feast, I often have to temper
what I know to be period with what practically can be done.  And when I do
modify a recipe one way or the other, I include that modification in my
documentation for the feast...which I make available to anyone at the event
who wishes to see it.

> Adamantius, who thinks Kiri is _worth_ the effort of being a pain in
> the arse to

I'm glad you feel that way...I really enjoy discussing things with you.  I
always learn so much.

Kiri