[Sca-cooks] Baking (was Tableware)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 25 23:04:47 PST 2002

Avraham said:
> > Do you have a bread maker or make bread?  Then make trenchers for
> plates -
> > cheap and no clean-up!
> > Then again, you are a doctor - do you have time to make bread????
>
> I'm a COOK, dear. Of course I make bread. Not very often, since the
> carbs are bad for my diet, but I do make it. I also inherited my
> great-grandmother's (z"lt) bakery recipes - I'm the only cook in the
> family with the patience to bake much. Everyone else is the "pinch of
> this, dash of that" school of cookery, which just doesn't fly well with
> most baking.

Well, I think I've mentioned several of the bread related files in
the Florilegium already. You might also find some of the comments
in the ovens-msg and the camp-ovens-msg files to be interesting.

And if you are going to be at Pennsic this next August there are
one or more camps, including one over by Master Cariadoc's Enchanted
Grounds which build beehive ovens each year and then bake bread
in them.

Some folks have also been known to build similar structures and
to smelt iron in them. However, they do differ from the bread ovens
in a few details...:-)

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net