[Sca-cooks] Cooking techniques- Was Funges Follies-

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 26 12:16:49 PST 2002

Ummmm......I wasn't proposing that we throw out the cookbooks.  I believe
that they are our guides in figuring out what kinds of foods were eaten,
along with, when we redact them and cook them, what kinds of tastes might
have been part of life at the time.  Your point about different cooks
preparing similar foods in different manners is quite well taken.  I think
this is particularly noticeable in the variants between the numerous
versions of blancmanger that are extant...along with the existence of a
fried spinach dish in both the Middle East and in Europe...same dish just
different oils and seasonings.

I am not advocating doing away with period recipes...in fact, I've really
enjoyed researching and redacting them over the years...and am ecstatic that
we have even more to play with!  I'm just saying that, as there was
interpretation amongst cooks in period, there should be room for some
interpretation here...especially as we already know that what we do is not a
faithful reproduction but simply our best effort to recapture an art that
existed hundreds of years ago.

Kiri