[Sca-cooks] Re:Cooking techniques-

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 26 18:27:08 PST 2002

Also sprach johnna holloway:
>La Varenne's instructions don't call for
>the eggs though and he clearly tells one how
>to fold it over so that it layers where as
>Plat seems to have one adding the butter as one
>goes. So in terms of food chemistry, is this
>the same process or not or two different methods?

I believe Plat (whose book I don't have in front of me, so take this
with a grain of unsalted butter) describes adding a second layer, but
eventually does a recognizable fold-and-roll method. He also uses
pats of butter, like the blitz method, rather than a block of butter.

The egg I assume to be connected to structural strength, which is now
sometimes compensated for by using bread flour, depending on which
modern recipe you look at.

Now I have to dig it (Plat) out ;-)

Adamantius