[Sca-cooks] www.godecookery.com was english and french pottery

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Mar 27 16:35:55 PST 2002

At 02:33 PM 3/27/02 -0800, you wrote:
>While I don't know if these are english or french, the picture galleries on
>the godecookery site show feasts using plates.  So, does this help the
>discussion or no?

Um, well, I did point out that we start seeing individual plates in late
period- and yes, there are a few late period illustrations in the gallery
that have plates. They are fairly late, the woodcuts are mostly German, and
while the dates on some of the illos are off (such as #27- a picture of
John of Gaunt feasting- is dated 14th c., when the meeting took place, but
the picture was painted in the late 15th c) you can tell a lot from clothes
and hairstyles. There was a couple of very cute ones with square-cut bread
trenchers, about 5x7" or so.

I did note that #s 6, 12, 13 and 15 (and a few more) are redrawings, so one
cannot be sure about accuracy.

Interesting collection of pictures though...

'Lainie