[Sca-cooks] Tableware

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 27 16:43:53 PST 2002

Food was generally served as a messe (group of dishes) usually meant to
serve two or more diners.  If the food required more cutting than had been
done in the kitchen or by the carver, it would have been cut on the serving
plate, then transferred to the trencher.

Small birds, for example, would be served whole to be torn apart at the
table, then the pieces transferred to the diners plates.

A proper lady, I see.  Although it would be the responsibility of the lord
or lords with whom you are sharing your messe, rather than your trencher.

Bear