Conveyor Belt Sushi was Re: [Sca-cooks] KFC

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 20:02:41 PST 2002

This was in New York, on Fifth Avenue, back in the 1960's. When I was a
kid, we used to wait in front of it for a bus, and I was fascinated by
all the fake food in the window (Don't remember the name, but it is a
big thing in Japan). My mother explained sushi to me, but never did
bring me in. (We ate in Indian restaurants, we ate in Chinatown, but
sushi seems to have been a bit beyond her.) I ate there in the 80's,
after I worked in a Japanese company and developed a taste for the food.
It closed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's - just when sushi
became trendy! I always thought that was a pity. It was a branch of a
chain in Tokyo, according to their signs, and I guess the practices they
developed there, where they are very picky about sanitation, kept the
New York Department of Health happy.

Anne