[Sca-cooks] Recipes with roses?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 27 22:42:37 PST 2002

Morgan said:
> Hello!  For a "rose in any medium" contest (they did not specify that it ha=
> d to be pictorial or sculptural) I am thinking of entering lots of food-ori=
> ented items.  I have someone who can give me rose wine, and am working on r=
> ose beads, and looking for all my recipes that contain rosewater in taste-a=
> ble quantities.  Does anybody have suggestions?  I have a couple of months =
> to prepare, but want to try to offer as many documentable items as possible=
> .  Since I'm not overly fond of roses (the scent it cloying to me), I'm goi=
> ng mostly from scratch here.

Well, here are a few files in the Florilegium which either should
give you some info and refeances for your above items or perhaps will
give you some more ideas:

cook-flowers-msg  (78K)  2/23/01    Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses & Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel del Cavallo.
                                       (medieval roses).
rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It's uses. Sources.
rose-water-msg    (34K) 11/27/00    Where to buy. How to make. Rose-water uses.
rosaries-msg      (52K) 12/ 8/00    Period rosaries and their use. Making rose
                                       beads.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net