[SCA-cooks] I quit

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Mar 28 07:27:56 PST 2002

At 09:54 AM 3/28/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Anyone with any colored belt should immediately spring into action. If they
>don't, make a mental note of whose badge they're wearing, and go complain to
>their peer.

Cool if they're wearing a badge. In some areas folks don't do much personal
heraldry. *And* sometimes going to the peer is counter-productive. Gets you
labelled as a tattle-tale.

>    This seems to kind of parallel something I've been watching for quite a
>while, the slow decline of courtliness and chivalrous behavior in general.
>It used to be that ladies didn't go about unescorted, or had a lord to carry
>bulky items for them. But of late, that seems to have been on the wane.

I've been saying that for ten years. I'm not sure there ever _was_ a 'good
old days' though. After all, wasn't it, uh, Seneca (?) who bemoaned that
these newfangled children were rude and disobedient to their parents and
that politics was a cesspool and everyone, great and small, was writing a
book...

>    Last crown list, I watched from across the field as a lady struggled
>with an obviously heavy cooler, dragged it past a group of knights and
>squires. They were at least polite enough to get out of her way as she went
>by...

Ooh... I was that woman at an event about ten years ago, and when a friend
finally saw me as I crested the top of teh HILL I was so mad that I blew up
on him. And then I had to apologize. Wasn't his fault that Sir Idiot and
his squires would rather sit a drink beer and wonder out loud what that
lady has in that big box...

>    I think this is just another symptom of a worsening problem. The decline
>of courtesy and manners in the real world is being reflected in the SCA as
>well, which is a real shame. A lot of us joined the SCA just to have a
>refuge where courtesy and manners and all of those noble sounding ideals
>were still valued, and we're slowly watching it all degrade . . .

Well, refer to previous comment about Seneca... :-/

'Lainie
(Gorgeous, I owe you a letter off-list. Try to get to it today)