[Sca-cooks] trenchers

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Mar 28 08:18:21 PST 2002

At 09:56 AM 3/28/02 -0600, you wrote:

>With all of the questions/responses about the use of trenchers
>at feasts, (and thanks to you all, I have been interested)
>has anything been mentioned about the use of plates, bowls, etc
>at roadhouses/inns?  I would assume that if you were on pilgrimage,
>you would have your own cooking/eating utensils; and if you
>were of the nobility then your retainers would make sure
>you had what you needed.

Hmm. I saw several illustrations of the table at the Tabard Inn (Canterbury
Tales), and noticed nothing really different from the other scenes of
people eating, except that they tended to show large round tables instead
of long trestle tables. I'm not sure about these, as they take up a lot of
room and I'm not sure how much room there was at the inn.

Good question about pilgrimage though. I'll think about that.

>But if you were, say, a merchant, mid 13th - mid 14th century -
>would the innkeeper be expected to provide? like modern-day
>eating establishments?

You know, I don't know that one either. I'll see what I can find though.

'Lainie