[Sca-cooks] I quit

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 28 08:23:57 PST 2002

I am really sorry that this is happening...and shocked at the things you
describe.  I had been under the impression that the SCA was all about
appreciating the differences in people, but I guess that's just not so.  I
shouldn't be surprised...it happened to me a number of years ago when I was
undergoing chemotherapy...I wanted a camping spot at Pennsic in the shade,
near a porta-john (the medication exacerbated my reaction to heat and the
hemi-colectomy made being near a "john" imperative).  This was back before
they did land grab, and you had to have someone there to get the spot for
you and stay on it until you got there.  We couldn't find anyone, so I wrote
the autocrat and asked for help...could a specific spot be set aside for me
and a friend who has MS.  I was told much of what you were told.  When I
wrote back, asking that they reconsider, I signed the letter with my full
alphabet soup...I was a peer at the time.  Wonder of wonders...they fell all
over themselves to get me the spot I wanted!  I was really upset then.
Something like this shouldn't depend on your rank in the Society.

However, I thought things had changed since then, but I guess it hasn't.  I
wouldn't even think of saying and/or doing what has been said and done to
you.  Hopefully we can do something about this.

What do the rest of you think?  Can we?  Can we, as a rather large group
from all over the SCA, start a campaign to force the BoD to make
handicapped-accessible sites a requirement for events?

Kiri
Kiri