[SCA-cooks] I quit

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Mar 28 09:23:59 PST 2002

At 08:48 AM 3/28/02 -0800, you wrote:

>It seems moot, though,  to just discuss it here when it could be brought to
>someone's attention.  Like hens pecking about when there's a wolf on the
>prowl.  Isn't there someone we could be sending these emails to that can do
>something about it rather than us just talking amongst ourselves?

I think that's what we're working towards. We don't want to go off
half-cocked, do we?

>On the subject, I have never seen anyone in a wheelchair attending events
over
>here in An-Tir.

Huh? Where in An Tir? Because I know several- there was one on Tjorkill's
retinue during his last reign (I know- I was on that retinue too). An heck-
Lady Peg-Leg is merchant chat for half the events in Western Region
(Shaugnessy does the other half :-) and I know that she uses a chair when
she's tired or ill and not up to stumping arond with her crutch. They guy
with the cannon is in a chair. and...

And before she left us, Janeltis. (Pace, grand lady)

> I've only been in a few years, but I've wondered how they
>would manage during camping events.  I've never seen anyone in a
wheelchair at
>the few indoor events I've been at too, though.

Camping outdoors is hard, especiallt when you are dealing with mud. I use a
cane off and on (off at the moment- yay!) and even that sucks when it's
been raining and the sawdust they put down has turned to pottage. And the
campsites are not all that accessible. However, I know that for outdoor
events the Barony of Adiantum has been paying extra for the accessible
porta-biffs, and that is a darn good start if you ask me!

>If this be a kingdom-wide issue, is there another list we can start bringign
>this up on?   With people who make policy and can help make the appropriate
>modifications?

I think you missed something here- this is _not_ a kingdom-wide issue- it
is a Society-wide issue. And a large part of Nicholas' point is that the
people who can and should make this policy and modifications are not doing so.

Personally, I think it should be a given that an autocrat makes
plans/provision for disabled access- whether they think it is needed or
not. SOP, as it were. For an educational group with such high and
altruistic ideals (*snort*) we should be bending over backwards to not just
accomodate, but encourage participation from those who want to participate
but have physical limitations. We certainly should not be excluding them,
and what Nicholas has described is exclusionary, unkind, unchivalrous,
rude, crude, and uncalled for. I ever catch one of my kids or one of my
students acting like that, and there will be bootleather on butts! There!
Humph!

:-D)
'Lainie
-cranky? No, not a bit. It's just a hot button, that's all.