OT OOP YMMV Declining Manners(Was: [SCA-cooks] I quit)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:20:38 PST 2002

>In a message dated 3/28/2002 9:58:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>baronsig at peganet.com writes:
>
> > A lot of us joined the SCA just to have a
> >  refuge where courtesy and manners and all of those noble sounding
>ideals
> >  were still valued, and we're slowly watching it all degrade . . .
>
>I disagree, I've watched manners wax and wane over the course of a twenty
>year plus SCA "career", and sooner or later we hitch ourselves up and
>address
>the problem once more.
>
>Back when stew was first discovered (about A.S.17) my Lady tripped and fell
>down about a six yard badly paved incline at an event. There were two
>Knights
>at the bottom of the hill conversing, one of them a Duke to boot. The
>turned
>at the noise, then went on with their conversation. That was the extent of
>their involvement as she picked herself up off the ground.
>
>Of course, when I found out about it I was angry, but what I've done in the
>meantime is to make it a habit to look for people needing help. We can't
>control what other people do, we can just do it ourselves and hope people
>take the example.
>
>Corwyn

I am fortunate enough to belong to a Barony where folks just kinda look out
for one another.  At least to me.  I am the idiot that leaps first and then
wonders if I should have looked first so I am always on the ground or on my
way there.  Folks around here just kinda wanna carry stuff for me or help my
up.  I still don't have steady footing since the whole ditch-diving ankle
surgery and I've still not got the ok to dance from Baron Temur (who I once
tried to shark in on but ended up belly-flopping and sliding clear across
the dancefloor).  But seriously, it is more than just me.  I see
graciousness at every event and fighter practice (when I go) and Baronial
meetings and guild meetings.  Sure, there are the 'off' folks who would
rather not help, but around here that seems to be the exception rather than
the rule.  Like a smile, courtesy spreads pretty easily.
Olwen, sporting a new broken toe.