[Sca-cooks] I quit

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 28 09:37:47 PST 2002

From: Gorgeous Muiredach
>As you may know, I use a wheelchair to get around.  I have been in the SCA
>for a little less than a short year.  During that year, I have encountered
>many obstacles to my participation at events.  Event sites not being
>accessible to me, and other people with mobility impairments is part of the
>problem.  The bigger part of the problem is the attitude found nearly
>everywhere that it doesn't really matter if a site is not accessible.

SNIP

This type of treatment is TERRIBLE!!!

We have quite a few participants in wheel chairs here in the central
West. When they can, some of them even attend CAMPING events and CAMP
at them. We *always* have wheelchair accessible porta-potties, etc.
Maybe California is just more aware of people with disabilities and
accommodating. We even have former royalty who attend in a wheelchair.

Please, don't leave the cooks list. You are a valuable contributor and friend.

Maybe you should just move to California... I'm kinda joking,
although i know we'd love to have you, because i'm sure there a
plenty of people who need your skills where you are now.

As for the law, how can some moron say, "We don't need to follow the law"?

I know i'm not as angry as you are, but, rest assured, i am angry, too!!!

How far away from disability are any of us? Every time we get in a
car, every time we walk across a street, we take a risk...

Please, let me know what Kingdom, and what subgroups you're in. I
know several former BoD members who have been in the SCA for scores
of years, and i'll see what they have to say.

This sort of behavior is WRONG!!!

Anahita