[Sca-cooks] Re: [Directors] I quit

Andrew Smith riga at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 28 08:12:27 PST 2002

    Dear Mr. Steenhout,

I am truly sorry you are dissatisfied with your experience in the SCA.  My
opinion is that the Society is full of wonderful, decent, caring people who are
willing to go out their way to help a fellow SCAer.  Yes, we all have a few bad
experiences; but on the whole, the Society is a warmer, friendlier place that
99.9 percent of most organizations or groups.

Regarding the ADA, we have spoken to numerous attorneys numerous times
regarding our responsibilities under that legislation, and when you are told
that we are not required to comply with it, that is a truthful statement.
Perhaps that is not what you wanted to hear, but that is the case.  Now, I must
immediately add that not being required to comply with the provisions of the
ADA does not mean we have no interest in making out disabled members'
attendance at events more comfortable and easier to manage.

To imply that those of us in the SCA have turned our backs on those with
physical limitations is unfair and untrue.  For years, a paraplegic was the
Baron of one of the largest Baronies in California.  I have been to numerous
courts where a signer was present for our hearing impaired members.  An amputee
recently completed his full term of service as the Earl Marshal of one of our
Kingdoms.  At feasts and banquets, special foods have been prepared for those
with dietary restrictions.  On the fighting field, I have seen paraplegics and
amputees participate in armored combat.

I do not know the extent of your physical limitations.  All I can tell you is
we do the best we can with the resources we have, and sometimes, that might not
be enough to fully help someone in your particular situation.  That does not
mean we are unwilling to try, it means, like most other human beings, we do the
best we can.

It is my experience that when disabled members work with the SCA's officers and
autocrats in the spirit of cooperation, resolutions to problems are
attainable.  I request that you contact the seneschal of your group and/or
region, and if necessary, the Kingdom Seneschal, explain the exact nature of
the problem, and work with them in an effort to resolve the issues.  Conflict
and threats accomplish little.  A small amount of cooperation goes a long way.

    Most cordially,

    Andrew Smith
    Duke Andrew of Riga
    Secretary, SCA Inc.