[SCA-cooks] I quit

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 13:05:08 PST 2002

And though I come from Caid, where accessibility is
pushed mundanely, there is getting to be a problem
getting sites even there (for some areas cost for some
they hate insurance issues= violently).  What do you
do when a small local area can't get a site that is
accessible?

I have worked with several groups mundanely about
accessibility issues in the commercial kitchen and
having experienced a disability issue (though not a
wheelchair issue I admit) I can empathize.  But again
how do you draw the line?  At culinary school you have
the issue of can you have someone blind in a
predominantly non-impaired kitchen, how about someone
with a seizure disorder, do we rip out all of the
stoves and rebuild the building for someone in a
wheelchair?  Where does the line for accessibility get
drawn.  Does a small local group not get to have
events because the places that they have access to are
not physically accessible?  I like Muiredach, and I've
personally been the pisser on the parade for some in
terms of ADA issues, but how accessible is accessible?
 There was a nightclub in LA that had a problem
because even though you could get in to the place, the
bathrooms were too small- does that render it
unusable?
I for one am less concerned about the actual ADA or
accessibility issues themselves, than I am about any
crap that Muiredach may have received for bringing it
up.  I think that the most telling part about his
missive was that he had solutions to offer, and was
ignored.  I did a brief stint as K. Chatelaine, and
there was a person with a disability issue that
prevented her from driving...after being ignored by
local officials, I found someon I knew to give her a
ride.  When a person is new and enthusiastic, the
answer is not "Well we tried that, we don't have time
or that will never work".  If we don't try new things
the Society will stagnate and become a fetid
pool...and I don't like swimming in that.

Okay that is Alessandra's rant of the day.

You can hang out with us any time Gorgeous.

Al

--- jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> > That's why I proposed that we get together and
> work on the BoD to make it a
> > requirement for events...maybe a letter-writing
> campaign or something.  No
> > one who knows me can accuse me of being willing to
> sit and complain about
> > something...I usually stew about something for a
> bit, then take the bit in
> > my teeth, so to speak, and try to rattle a few
> cages.
>
> I think I wonder first what it is you propose to
> absolutely require local
> groups to provide at every single event they ever
> run. Exactly what
> standard of handicapped accessible will be required?
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net OR jenne at tulgey.browser.net
> OR jahb at lehigh.edu
> "Are you finished? If you're finished, you'll have
> to put down the spoon."

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)