[Sca-cooks] Re: I Quit!

Barbara Evans mathilde at borg.com
Fri Mar 29 04:55:31 PST 2002

Akim, thank you for this information and for your words of wisdom.
Here in the kingdom of Aethelmearc there was a site called Amaral that was
on the side of the hill. There were plans to make it the site of kingdom
events, although many people would not have been able to attend events there
because of the terrain.
I objected to using this site for our big events because of its
inaccessibility for so many people. I am relieved that the site is no longer
being used by our kingdom, although I believe it was because the events
there did not do well financially.
A kingdom event site should be planned to allow as many people as possible
to attend.

Mathilde

<snip>  There are some
> facilities being planned for SCA events that will eventually see completion.
> The West Kingdom has a substantial sum ($300,000+) in a nonprofit corporation
> dedicated to developing an event site.  Whether or not it is required to be
> accessible by ADA or local code, morally,  the SCA should endeavor to make
> EVERY aspect of this facility accessible to the highest standards possible.
> This is what I am personally doing.  Cumberland (formally Glaedenfeld) Centre
> in Middle Tennessee is being designed for full accessibility as far as
> possible (only the musicians' balcony of the hall will not be wheelchair
> accessible because a $50,000
> elevator in a barn is an absurd waste of funds better used to improve access
> elsewhere).  This is a very
> expensive undertaking, but I feel that full access (even when not required) is
> the right thing to do.
<snip