Bread trenchers was [Sca-cooks] Tableware

Fri Mar 29 08:35:13 PST 2002

The Panter or Pantler was the household officers in charge of bread (and by
extension long term stores).  The Baker prepared the bread and delivered it
to the Pantry, where it was stored, prepared and dispensed to the tables.
If you are wondering why I use the term carver rather than Pantler, I am
using it generically.

The Pantlers office used three knives for preparing bread; a carver (large
blade) to cut it, a chisel-like chipper to remove the crust and a parer
(small blade) to trim the edges.

The woodcut from Der Schatzbehalter can be found here:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/grand_feast.gif

I don't have my bibliography readily available and since it lists text which
provide information or lack thereof, it needs a little editting to be useful
to you.  I'll send you a copy when I'm back home.

Bear