[SCA-cooks] Handicapped/Disabled [Was I quit]

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Mar 29 22:12:20 PST 2002

I agree with Giovanna on this.  I look on helping someone with a
disability - of any kind - as the same as helping someone with too many
parcels or a heavy load, or going into an understaffed kitchen, or sitting a
turn or three at the gate even when it's not "my" group's event.  They need
help, you give it.  It goes beyond the SCA, too, and I've held a lot of
doors and picked up dropped items for people.

But if people have the experience of someone snapping "I don't NEED your
help - do you think I am a cripple??" a time or two, they are going to
assume that all persons with disabilities or challenges are going to react
the same way.  And who wants to subject themselves to that?

	I've heard this reply from "ladies" as well and wanted to punch them in the
mouth!  Why is it assumed that courtesy is a one way street?  Such an
answer, and I have heard it in exactly those terms and with an intensity to
frighten a Maori in full stride, is discourteous in the extreme.

Regina (home to the popcorn smoked house.  Hmmm.... Think there is going to
have to be a rule about watched popcorn from now on....)