[Sca-cooks] re: trenchers

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Mar 30 07:02:29 PST 2002

At 09:37 AM 3/30/02 EST, you wrote:
>--
>> The sops I know of are sliced one more time though- if you see
>> them in the pics they look like littel fingers in neat row on the table.
>> You pick them up and use them to wipe up juice, not to catch it- rather
>> like toast with your eggs, of a roll at dinner.
>
>And there are the recipes that etell you to "serve over sops" - put the sops
>n the bottom of the soup bowl, and pour the soup over.

Yup! There are! Of course I do that too- put torn-up bread in the bottom of
the bowl, and save a bit to wipe out the broth.

>As well as the purely practical aspect - the fact that the carver is trying
>to keep things form getting cold before they are served.  I wonder if he was
>carving on a metal plate, which would suck the heat out of the food?  A slice
>of bread would make an admirable insulator in that case.

Hmm. Don't know. Carving meat, maybe. What do they carve meat on in a
resaurant today? I would think though that bread would be squishy and a
little unstable to carve on. Like I said, I don't know. For slicing bread
though, some pictures show them cradling the loaf in their arms, and some
pictures show them cutting right on the table.

It would really help if they had written captions! But nooo... I can
imagine some illuminator, hunched over his work, and someone walks by and
says "Hey Wilfred! Aren't you gonna put the captions in?" and Wilfred
wrinkles his nose and says "Put 'em in yourself! I'm tired of putting
stoopid captions in for ignorant folks who can't see what is plainly before
their faces!" mutter mutter... and to himself "... besides, in 600 years it
will drive them crazy!"

;-D)

'Lainie