[Sca-cooks] Rose Vinegar?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 23:25:28 PST 2002

I wrote:
>  I was looking over some of the recipes of Ruperto de Nola translated
>  by Lady Brighid ni Ciarain in Stefan's Florilegium. I can across the
>  followingrecipe (i was searching for garlic recipes - or rather -
>  recipes featuring garlic). Then i noticed one of the ingredients was
>  ROSE VINEGAR. Anyone know how this was made?

And Brighid ni Chiarain answered:
>I don't know of any period recipes, offhand.  If you do a search on
>"rose vinegar" on Google, various modern recipes come up.  Most
>of them involve steeping (or boiling) rose petals in vinegar.  I would
>use a white wine vinegar.

Thanks for the info. I've actually done that before - i've been
something of an herbalist (for myself since the late 60's/early 70's)
and have made various concoctions. I was hoping someone had read how
they did it. The 16th century recipe used both rose vinegar and rose
water...

Anyway, sounds worth a try, barring any actual "period" recipes or
descriptions. I can get food-grade dried roses here.

Of course, if anyone wants to hear an embarrassing story:

I was in an intensive Indonesian language program one summer in
Berkeley CA. I had a bottle of homemade floral vinegar which i used
as a hair rinse and facial splash on the shelf above my bed. To
celebrate the end of the program, we (mostly graduate students, some
from outside the US) were having a bit of a party that involved some
alcoholic spirits. I ran up to get a bottle of Crown Royal i had
sitting on the shelf above my bed. I'm usually good at getting around
and finding things in the dark and didn't turn on the light. However,
i was somewhat marinated. I grabbed a bottle, and made my way back
downstairs. I didn't realize what i had until i handed it to someone
else, who took a look at my hand-written label and looked at me
quizzically. I should have noticed since the two bottles felt VERY
different, but, well, my consciousness was altered.

Anahita