[Sca-cooks] SPIROL CUT HAM

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 31 08:07:58 PST 2002

Also sprach Seton1355 at aol.com:

>No Jews at 'other cured meats' kosher: bologna, turkey, pastrami etc.  Most
>probably don;t anymore due to health concerns but I never took a poll.

I'm confused. Is that "at" supposed to be "eat"? I think, if you did
take a poll, you may find that such products would not exist if there
weren't a market for them. Maybe less so now than there used to be,
but I would very seriously question the relationship, if any, between
current health concerns and Kashrut. Ironic, since a lot of the
food-related Law of Moses seems to be simple hygienic common sense,
but there it is.

>  >>> the penchant for goose or duck prosciutto,
>
>There *is* such a thing?  What does prosciutto mean? I always thought it was
>a type of ham.

Duck or goose prosciutto is cured like the ham product, but made
usually with two whole legs, deboned via a slit in the inner thigh
and drumstick, sewn together with twine (through the skin) and cured,
and sometimes pressed, as most prosciutto is, too. Unlike other hams,
but like prosciutto, it is air-dried but not smoked. It's favorite
among Italian Jews (Sephardic, normally, I think).

>  > >>and the truly dreadful pseudo-bacon known as FryBeef,
>>
>>  My mother always said she would not spend $1.49 for a pound of fat!  (well
>this was
>>  in the 60s.......  And it's been so long since I tasted it , I don;t
>  > remember what it tasted like....... but I remember that I liked
>it as a kid.

It's probably something kids and the generally unsophisticated (I
refer to tastes and this is not a putdown) would like, but I should
not malign something with which I have no direct experience. I've
heard it was awful. For all I know I would like it.

Adamantius