[Sca-cooks] pepper

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 7 21:51:28 PDT 2002

I just got my first online e-notes from Cooks Illustrated.

I thought some of you might enjoy this info on peppers. There was
a recent discussion on whether whole or ground spices were better.
At least for pepper, Cooks Illustrated's tests seem to say
whole peppercorns.

Stefan

TASTING: Black Pepper

We tasted 11 black peppers, including whole peppercorns that we ground
in our kitchen and pre-ground pepper. McCormick/Schilling Whole Black
Pepper won for its lively, penetrating, and complex flavor, but we also
liked whole peppercorns from Kalustyan and Penzeys. Pre-ground black
peppers finished at the back of the pack.

For the complete results of our black pepper tasting, go to:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/show_document.asp?iDocumentID=3616&iBDC=43392

RESOURCE: SPICES

If you'd like to try a specific variety of peppercorn, check out Penzeys
Spices (www.penzeys.com). Penzeys sells whole Sarawak, Tellicherry, and
Malabar black peppercorns in various quantities.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net