[Sca-cooks] OT-apple dumpling question

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed May 8 06:29:45 PDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Mercedes/Stephanie wrote:

> I want to make apple dumplings for my MIL for Mother's Day - she likes the
> type that are basically a whole baked apple in pie dough... The question is,
> which apples would work best for that?  I'm not a huge cooked apple fan so
> most of my knowledge is based on raw apples........
>
> Mercedes

I like Haralsons, myself, but I think they're pretty much local to MN. Oh,
and you don't want to use pie dough, you want to use dumpling dough. This
recipe:

http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/apple-dumplings1.html

is similar to the one my mother uses. She uses cake flour instead of
all-purpose.

And here is a guide to various kinds of apples and their uses:

http://www.allrecipes.com/cb/kh/pie/perfectapples/default.asp

Now you've gotten me hungry, and it's not lunchtime yet!

Margaret