[Sca-cooks] furign foods

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 9 21:34:35 PDT 2002

'Lainie said:
> I do have a food question though, and it may be semi-related. What's the
> deal with presenting dishes as 'foreign' when they really aren't? Icelandic
> chicken, which isn't Icelandic, is the example that immediately comes to
> mind. Modernly there are thigns like the 'Spanish' rice that my mother used
> to make, which isn't Spanish. Is there some hallmark ingredient or
> technique that makes us call them different? Or something else?

You mean like "French Fries"? Or "Mongolian BBQ"?

Actually, I think the Icelandic Chicken may have gotten it's name
when the manuscript may have thought to have originated in Iceland.

See this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.

> And I still feel lousy. Stoopid virus.

I hope you're feeling better, soon. My stomach is still feeling
quesy and I'm tired from the flu or what ever it was that I had
from last Thurs. through Sunday. grumble. grumble. Got lots to
do. No time to be sick.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net