[Sca-cooks] Typing Problem--need techie help

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Fri May 10 09:09:46 PDT 2002

Hi All.

I'm putting together a feast booklet for the first time on this computer
(Windows ME---and I know,  I've had this unit for a while. I've just been
doing this kind of work AT work, previously, rather than at home). Anyway,
the blinking WORD program is auto-correcting me! Not unwanted when I'm
typing my own words, but terrible when I'm typing out medieval and
renaissance spelling. "Togeather" gets spelled as "together" whether I want
it to be that way or not. I go back and
change it back to the way I want it, and the minute my curser is off that
word, it's auto-corrected back to the modern spelling.

Can some nice techie person tell me how to temporarily turn off the
auto-correct feature? I can get into the Options menu from the Tools menu,
and then the spelling and grammar menu from there, but now I don't know what
to do. Do I Un-check the "check spelling as you type" box? Or the "Always
suggest corrections" box?

Aoife, who can't believe she might have to apologies in print for spelling
things according to standard modern English.