[Sca-cooks] tosted cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 19 12:36:24 PDT 2002

And in a reply to this message, Adamantius said:
> The cheese toast you describe is a pretty standard modernized version
> of toasted cheese, which, in England and Wales, at least (I don't
> know about Switzerland ;-)  ) used often to be roasted on a board in
> front of the fire, then slid onto buttered toast.

I've always put the cheese on the bread and toasted them together.
However, these comments mention toasting the cheese seperately and
then transferring it to the bread/toast. I'm having trouble imagining
how this would work. It would seem like it would be very messy with
the cheese going every which way, except cleanly onto the toast. Part
of the solution may be hinted at in Adamantius' comment about roasting
the cheese on a board and then sliding it onto the toast. Or perhaps
the modern cheeses I use end up softening more when heated up? Maybe
a firmer, dryer cheese doesn't get so messy when warmed up?

And what is the advantage of toasting the cheese and the bread
seperately and then combining them? As opposed to putting the
cheese on buttered bread and then toasting them together? Of course
in the latter, the portion under the cheese probably doesn't get
toasted, whereas when done seperately it would be.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net