[Sca-cooks] ASL and the SCA

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue May 21 00:18:10 PDT 2002

Anahita commented:
> So for my total language studies i had 2 years of Latin and 3 of
> French in high school; 1/2 year Mandarin Chinese as an undergrad; i
> took 3 years Bahasa Indonesia in 2 summers and one school year, and
> one year of "reading German for grad students" in graduate school;
> and not quite 1/2 year of ASL which i took about 8 years ago just
> because i wanted to (i really want to take it up again).

For those of you that know ASL or are interested in learning it and
using it in the SCA, there really is a need for ASL interpreters
at many SCA courts.

Like much of the specialized vocabulary created for use in the SCA,
there are ASL varients that have been created to help those who
use ASL. Though this is hardly a comprehensive list, here is some
information on this in the Florilegium:
SCA-SL-art        (14K)  9/ 8/94    SCA specific sign language.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/SCA-SL-art.html
sign-lang-msg     (18K)  7/31/01    Sign language in the SCA and in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/sign-lang-msg.html

Note that some of these signs were originally created in the East
Kingdom and I've been hearing some arguments that some of these
should be changed, however this does give you a starting point.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net