[Sca-cooks] Reichl talk in Ann Arbor

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 21 13:34:30 PDT 2002

I did the local foodie thing last night
and drove into Ann Arbor to hear Ruth
Reichl speak at Borders. She read from
Comfort Me With Apples and then answered
questions from the audience. She has this
great line that she read that I thought I
would share with the list. Back in 1978,
she had gone out to dinner with her editor
to a someone's house and had commented on the
wine. The host then said, ""This one you should
keep. Such enthusiam.""

"Colman looked at me speculatively;" ...."after a
moment he said, "You don't think enthusiam clouds
the critical faculties?""

""Not at all," Darrell [the host] replied. "What's
the point of knowing a lot about food if all you
get is disappointment?"" page 60.

I just think that line:
"What's the point of knowing a lot about food if all
you get is disappointment?" is a great line.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis