[Sca-cooks] Reptilian Pronunciation (was Drive up ATM's OT, OOP (was Languages)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 22 11:07:16 PDT 2002

"Siegfried Heydrich" <baronsig at peganet.com> wrote:
>     I was watching one of those nature shows once, and the narrator was
>discussing iguanas (ig-wannas) until they interviewed Prince Chuckie,
>who referred to them as (ig-yew-annas). For the remainder of the show,
>the narrator called them (ig-yew-annas) . . .

I listen to the BBC on the radio, and Prince Charles's pronunciation
seems to be pretty standard in England.

BBC newscasters say jag-yew-ar for jaguar
They say nik-a-ra-gew-ah for Nicaragua
Gyew-ah-te-ma-la for Guatemala
etc.

After all, they say nyews and Tyewsdeh, so it is consistent.

What really drove me nuts was how one particular BBC newscaster
consistently over many months mispronounced the name of the former
president of Indonesia, Suharto. It is "soo-har-toe". HE said
"suh-har-too". Most of the other newscasters pronounced it correctly.

Anahita