[Sca-cooks] OT OOP English was (Re: Drive up ATM's OT, OOP)

Wed May 22 12:38:22 PDT 2002

> >As for the, for the "flammable" "inflammable" business, the
>
> I am aware of this (once was a grad grunt in English), however, I was
> speaking of general usage. It would appear that those who
> _should_ know,
> such as journalists and editors, either don't know, or don't
> care. I think
> it has something to do the with lowest common denominator. :-/

But it was such a lovely place to practice my pedantry in the pursuit of
obnoxiousness.

Journalistic writing is usually fast hack work against a deadline, so I'm
willing to make greater allowance.  Editors on the otherhand seem to be
singularly lacking in language skills.  An editor who understands language,
construction and flow is a jewel beyond price these days as the ones who
could bring out the best in a writer are being replaced by "editors" who
(maybe) understand marketing product but have no grasp of the language.

> Actually, I was not confusing it at all- I was making a
> reference to the
> old joke about-
>
> "You know the difference between 'pro-' and 'con-', right?"
> "Yeah..."
> "Well, if 'progress' means 'moving forward' or 'becoming
> better', then what
> does that say about 'congress'?"
>
> 'Lainie

My wife can tell you I tease people with a straight face and fastidious
precision.  It works better in person than online.  Unfortunately, when I
first heard the joke, it was too close to reality to be funny.

Bear