[Sca-cooks] Time at wars...

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 09:29:30 PDT 2002

>we cook foods of the world.BBq- us,mexican,Italian,german-et..
>We cook over wood carcoal and everything is made fresh on
>site -bread,tamales.

That sounds great. I always hear about the nice camps and cool
cooking things going on at Pennsic and I never get the chance
to do it. Unless I am specifically responsible for a meal,
like the chili party or a special dinner or a vigil buffet, I
rarely do anything interesting in camp. Part of my problem is
that I was always so busy doing other things and usually not
really part of a large camp group. We would camp together as
a kingdom but that was mainly just different parties in one
space. So it was usually just me or my lady.

Another problem I have a Pennsic is total lack of time. Since
the Ansteorran (and now Atenveldt) contigent is usually so small
I would be honor-bound to attend a lot. The fighting all day,
entering tournaments or commanding teams or fighting as a
kingdom champion. Then there would be strategy meetings or
Circles or assisting with the Chili Party or whatever. So I
rarely had time to attend classes or fix a nice dinner. And with
just one or two to cook for I didn't have the inclination either.

Usually it was either the Food Court or something fast and easy
like grilled steak or pre-packaged stuff I made at home.

I would love to attend an event where I wasn't the main cook (but
could help) and play in camp a bit. I remember going to an event
one time and swearing I would not fight but spend the entire time
in camp just playing. My main compadre and I wound up cooking a
huge dinner for probably 20 people just over the campfire. Stuff
like various meats, pasta dishes, spaetzel, cobbler, stir-fry
veggies, etc....It was better than the feast and a lot of fun.

I got to stay in a camp at Estrella a couple of years ago that had
dedicated cooks and we ate well every night. It was nice.

Sorry, just ranting a bit.

Yers,

Gunthar