[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's adventures with lace

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 09:46:09 PDT 2002

>Dang, Papa, she does some *great* stuff.
>--Maire, dragging her relatively talentless self off to work, now....

She was shocked that I dared post her stuff to the list.

Anyway, for all of you who chided me for the "talentless clod"
remark. I actually missed fighter practice last night, after
being all psyched to grab a bastard sword and play Jedi knight
on a few skulls, to attend (ulp!) a lace-making class!

Now, those of you who have met me have seen that I don't have
nice delicate artist's hands. They are more developed for
wrasslin' cattle and smashing faces. These big meat things with
club fingers. So here I'm sitting with this wonderful Laurel
showing me how to twist these bloody wooden dowels around while
they hang off a teeny pillow. Sausage fingers ain't good for this.

So, as my lady and another lady are happily sticking pins in pillows
and making this cool mini-macrame' stuff I'm spinning bobbins around
an making a horrid mess. The nice Laurel-lady would come by and
make cooing noises as she busily untangled the mess I made and
inserted pins into strategic dots on a piece of paper that I'm
supposed to weave around. After a bit she got me a bigger pillow.
I managed to get a pattern about an inch long before I decided that
wrasslin' with her wolfhound was a bit more in line with me.

The ladies made beautiful woven lace bookmark things and I have
a pretty cord thing that I could have done by grabbing yarn,
rubbing it briskly between my palms and tying everything together.
At times we made cooking class references, you know the ones...
you are in the kitchen doing a feast and someone very eager wants
to help. So you let them chop vegetables until you beging to fear
for their hands (and the table, and the lighting fixtures, and
the dinere) so then you have them prepare the platters until
you notice that everything is kind of mixed together in a chop
suey mess, but they are so wanting to help that after a bit you
have them "stir the soup". Well, the nice Laurel lady (Mistress
Meadh of Atenveldt) made the perfect comment:

"Some people come to lace making class and learn to make lace. Others
walk away with a further appreciation of the art."

Ain't that a wonderfully diplomatic way of telling me to stir the
soup?

Gunthar
I hate ebil bobbins!