[Sca-cooks] LONG (was Meridian Kingdom A&S Feasts)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 08:25:11 PDT 2002

Nicollo, thank you so much for the wonderful recipes! I might snitch
that toasted cheese bread from the Mediterranean feast i'm doing in
September.

I have one question.

Nicollo write:
>Fasoli #41
>Coce li fasoli in aqua pura ho in bono brood...

SNIP

>Kidney Beans (#41)
>Cook the kidney beans in pure water or in good broth..

Aren't fasoli supposed to be fava beans rather than kidney beans? I
thought kidney beans were New World...

I know favas are not always easy to find, but you can probably find
canned favas at the Middle Eastern store where you get "pomegranate
molasses/syrup". Favas should be peeled before serving... i've had
fava bean dishes at feast in which they haven't been, and the skins
are quite tough.

Kidney beans are dark red and favas are green, so the substitution
would make a big difference in the color of the finished dish, too. I
don't know why folks hate lima beans so much, but in appearance they
are closer to favas than kidney beans are... unless i am mistaken
about the kidney beans.

Anahita